All the calls, texts and video chats between you and your parents decoded!
Whether you’re moving out for the first or the fifteenth time, your parents will probably worry about how you’re doing and what you’re getting up to away from home – even though they might not say so directly! But don’t fret, our handy guide of common things parents say and what they actually mean will help you work out the true meaning behind their words. Do any of these ring a bell?
There are lots of other great articles on Student.com such as Which Countries Are Best For Getting A Job In After You’ve Studied There? – so be sure to take a look around!
What parents say = above the image
What parents mean = below the image
1. Are you doing OK for money?
Have you run out of money yet?
2. How are the people on your course?
Have you made any friends?
3. Are you eating well?
Have you used the pots and pans I bought you?
4. What are your flatmates like?
Are your flatmates as untidy as you?
5. Have you settled in yet?
When can I come and visit?
6. Are you getting much sleep?
You look tired
7. You look well
You’ve put on weight
8. Well you have to make your own mistakes
I told you so
9. Well, it is what it is
I can’t help you (but I wish I could)
10. Do you think that’s a good idea?
That’s a really bad idea, please don’t do that
11. If it makes you happy
I know you’re going to do it anyway
12. How are your lectures going?
Please tell me you are going to lectures
13. Have you called your siblings/grandparents/aunts/uncles lately?
Call your siblings/grandparents/aunts/uncles
14. I miss you
I reeeeeeeeeeeeally miss you
15. Your course is very important
Do you know how much your course costs??
16. Hang on, your father wants to speak to you
(Long pause) Your father doesn’t want to speak to you
17. What a lovely surprise to hear from you!
Your calls are very infrequent
18. Have you met anyone nice?
Give me all the juicy gossip on your love life
19. Oh that’s super! Very ‘cool’!
I don’t really know what you’re talking about
20. The dog really misses you
I really miss you
21. They’re putting a wonderful festival on in town!
Come home for the holidays?
22. Do you really want those posters?
We’re redecorating your room
Parents really do worry about EVERYTHING, especially if you’re studying abroad:
You’ll just have to reassure them that studying abroad is for the best:
And if these people did it, well, that speaks for itself: